The United States is one of the leading cannabis-growing regions of the world. Don’t be surprised! Weed cultivation was entirely legal in many states, allowing marijuana owners to grow it indoors. According to scientific research, cannabis is cultivated mainly for tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD), which have strong psychoactive and intoxicating effects. In other words, if you want to address some conditions such as pain and nausea or simply get high – growing cannabis at home is a good option.
But how does one know where to start? The first decision you need to make is whether you will use clones or seeds. This article discusses the latter option and offers an easy-to-follow guide on how to grow weed from seed.
So, who wins in the growing clones vs. seeds debate? There is no right or wrong answer, as everything depends on your skills, time, available resources, and other factors. Using clones for weed cultivation is simpler and cheaper. However, seeds have significant advantages making them a preferred choice for growers. Let’s list some of them.
- More choices. Seed banks contain more varieties of marijuana, so you can grow some rare varieties in your home garden.
- Higher crop yield. Seeds boast more robust root systems, providing a higher crop yield than plants grown from clones.
- Seeds are healthier. Clones can inherit various diseases from the mother plants, making it difficult and costly to cultivate healthy plants. So, if you don’t know whether mother plants were cultivated in perfect conditions, it’s better to use seeds.
Choosing the Best Seeds
Choosing the right seeds is the key to success in weed cultivation. It’s easy to get confused by the seeds’ types, characteristics, and seed banks. These are the things to keep in mind when you purchase weed seeds:
What Strain Is the Best?
Everything depends on your preferences and growing skills. For example, if you are a newbie and lack knowledge in this area, it’s always better to go for autoflower seeds. These seeds are a cross-bred of Indica and Sativa strains, which are less dependent on the light conditions. Autoflower seeds harvest quickly and get more harvest, while their resistance to diseases provides an additional benefit. They are easy to manage and are more suitable for indoor growing.
The choice of seeds also depends on your needs. If you want to get high, Sativa strains are your preferred choice, as they have a strong energizing and refreshing effect. If you depend on marijuana for disease management, choose Indica. According to the researchers, Indica strains effectively treat pain and insomnia due to the high CBD concentration.
Finally, pay attention to optimal seed characteristics. They should be brown or tan, symmetric, large, and solid.
What’s a Seed Bank and How to Choose One?
The quality of seeds largely depends on the bank seed you choose. These are places where seeds are kept safely in perfect environmental conditions. Choose only companies with a perfect reputation because they have excellent breeding skills and can provide you with valuable recommendations. Banks’ features to look for include:
- Seed variety
- Fast delivery
- High-quality customer support
Many top seed banks send seeds online, which is an excellent option if you can’t visit the place yourself.
It’s Time to Grow!
So, your perfect seeds have been delivered. What’s next? Growing cannabis from seed is pretty straightforward if you know what to do. Here are the steps you should follow to grow healthy plants from seeds:
- Germination before planting is essential for triggering the growing process. The easier way to do it is to place the seeds inside a wet paper towel and let them sit for a few days. Keep the towel moist all the time!
- Meanwhile, prepare a growing tend, soil, and containers. Purchase a high-quality soil mix specifically designed for growing weed and place your seeds accurately in the soil. Set the right light and temperature (aim at 27 degrees Celsius) and ensure that the place has fresh moving air.
- If you do everything right, your plants will appear above ground in about two weeks, depending on the environmental conditions and the seed type. It’s crucial to provide perfect light during this vegetation phase and eliminate pests if they appear.
- When the plant sex becomes clear, you need to destroy male plants. Take care of the remaining female plants and make sure they grow as big and strong as possible. If you do everything right (check recommendations for your specific strain), you will soon be able to harvest.
Knowing how to grow a marijuana seed is not enough. You should also be able to dry cannabis correctly. You can use a drying rack to spread out the buds evenly and allow the water contained in them to evaporate. Then, place the buds in a jar and store them in a dark, dry, and cool place. Open the jar regularly to release humidity; otherwise, your precious harvest will be destroyed by mold. Be patient! This process is slow and may take up to two weeks.
There are many smaller steps involved in growing weed from seeds. Be sure to check detailed recommendations online or get professional advice from seed banks and expert growers. You also need to be prepared for failures, as learning the ins and outs of indoor growing may take time. However, don’t be discouraged by the complexity of this process. Eventually, you will master the art of cultivating cannabis from seeds.