What To Do If Your Pet Ate Your Cannabis

Denys Svirepchuk
Denys Svirepchuk

Denys Svirepchuk is a dynamic writer at AskGrowers known for his engaging and informative content. His articles often blend entertainment with education, offering readers a unique perspective on the cannabis industry. Denys is particularly adept at crafting content that ranges from fun and quirky ideas, like cannabis-themed gifts to more serious topics such as industry news and legalization updates. He also provides in articles valuable guides and lifehacks for cannabis enthusiasts, delving into the specifics of cannabinoids and other intricate aspects of cannabis. Denys' work is characterized by its diversity making him a versatile and much-appreciated contributor to the cannabis community.



Find more about Denys
What To Do If Your Pet Ate Your Cannabis

Growers make every effort to make their products as tasty as possible. Major producers do the same and do not usually forget to extend the range of goods by adding tasty chocolate bars, gummy bears and cupcakes can be incredibly tasty and, unfortunately, not only for you but also for your pet.

However, unlike you, your dog or cat will hardly like THC-rich products. Consider the dosage – if you take 2 mg of THC, you will hardly even feel anything. However, your pet will get a completely new experience. Let us be honest, if a dog finds gummy bears, a dog eats all gummy bears. Consequently, the dose is likely to be much higher than only 2mg and that feelings will be much stronger. Do not let your own experience fool you: your pet will not feel euphoria or relaxation – there will be no high – just fear and intoxication.

What an owner should do in such a situation? Take a look at our step-by-step guide.

Consider The Signs

Yes, some owners catch their pets when they are eating edibles, but what should the rest ones do? It is crucially important to understand that your dog did it, and you never know what you notice first, the empty pack of cannabis chocolate bars or the weird behavior of your pet. If you find the pack, just move to the next paragraph. If you found a pack and do not remember if you ate all the bars or not, or if you noticed that your pet acts weird, read the list of the symptoms below carefully. There is a strong possibility that the accident has really happened if you notice something of even everything on this list:

  1. Disorientation
  2. Uncontrolled defecation and/or urination
  3. Vocalization
  4. Seizures (are pretty rare)
  5. Tremors
  6. Hyperactivity
  7. Unusual sensitivity to sounds and movements

Simply put, pets do not act normally after they consume a dose of THC. You will notice that something is wrong immediately, and you just need to make sure that the reason is cannabis if you notice any of the above-mentioned symptoms and especially if your pet is wobbling and/or you notice excessive eye blinking.

Do Not Panic But Realize The Consequences

If you found out that your pet really ate your edibles or buds, you need to act quickly. As we have noted before, cannabis does not make you pet high, so you should not expect that the body of your pet will cure itself eventually – if it has already happened, you need to act as quickly as possible.

By the way, there is another important thing you need to consider – fortunately, edibles do not consist of tetrahydrocannabinol only, they also contain other ingredients, for instance, chocolate, are also harmful to the health of your pet.

This, however, does not mean that you should panic or be too careless. Just remind yourself of what you can really do and do it. In this situation, emotions will not help you or your dog.

Read Also: Hemp or CBD for Dogs

Do What You Can At Home

All you need to do is to try to induce vomiting – this is the old yet very effective way to get rid of toxic substances. Please note that this makes sense only within a short time after the accident occurred. We mean if you are trying to do this with no results for an hour, you should just take your pet to a vet – the delay could lead to really bad consequences. If you do not know how to do it, just try to remember if you have 3% hydrogen peroxide. One teaspoon per 10 pounds is enough to make your pet get rid of cannabis products that are toxic to him or her. And again, if nothing happens during the next 15 minutes, take your pet to a vet.

Get professional assistance

No matter if your pet vomited or not, just take your dog to an animal hospital. If you per did not vomit, just do it quicker. Why should you do it even if your dog’s body has already got rid of THC? Because further treatment is required.

There is another thing we should emphasize – do not be afraid to tell a doctor what really happened, even if recreational or even medical marijuana is illegal in your state. A veterinarian is not interested in getting you in trouble with the law, a veterinarian is interested in helping your dog in such a critical situation.

Listen To A Vet’s Recommendations

As we have already noted before, further treatment is required. You should not ignore the recommendations even if your dog looks okay. You will not have to do anything extraordinary – just give your pet charcoal and other medications a doctor prescribed. In some cases, IV fluids are needed not to let a dog’s body to absorb toxins once again. Your pet should also be monitored for some time, but in most cases, a dog feels like before the accident in a short time after the system gets rid of toxic substances.

Read Also: How to Choose the Best CBD Treats for Horses' Health

Do Not Let This Happen Again

Firstly, do not blame yourself for everything that happened. Such accidents occur every single day, and this does not mean that all people who faced such a problem do not love their pets or do not care about them well enough. It just means that anything can happen. However, you need to consider these experiences to prevent similar accidents in the future.

Do not be careless, do not leave edibles, joints or even bongs on the table or on the floor. Pet owners know that dogs can reach anything, even if it is hidden if they want to, so do not tempt your pet. By the way, such accidents often occur when teens come back home from college and brink tasty cupcakes or gummy bears. There will be no long-lasting negative effects, but if you do everything we listed before and be careful in the future.

No reviews yet...
Be the first and share your opinion

Write a Review

Related articles

Top articles

Recent Articles